Living With Dementia – Do You Need a Lawyer?

Many legal forms (Power of Attorney, Living Will) can be completed without professional help.  However, if you have a complex situation or questions, it’s a good idea to seek legal advice and services from an attorney specializing in elder law.

Elder Law focuses on disability planning, guardianship, estate planning, and other legal issues that typically affect older adults.

If you have a family attorney, he or she may be able to refer you to an elder law attorney.  Other resources include:

When you meet with your lawyer be sure to talk to your lawyer about the following key issues as well as any other concerns you may have:

  • Options for health care and long-term care decision-making for the person living with dementia
  • Options for managing the individual’s personal care and property
  • Possible coverage of long-term care services, including what is covered by Medicare, Medicaid, veteran benefits and other long-term care insurance.

The laws vary from state to state; make sure you understand your local laws and have any out-of-state documents updated in your new state.

Questions? The Law Office of Debra Simms is here to help. Call us today 386.256.4882

This blog post is not case-specific and is provided only for educational purposes and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. Blog topics may or may not be updated and entries may be out-of-date at the time you view them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

Port Orange Office:
Prestige Executive Center
823 Dunlawton Ave. Unit C
Port Orange, FL 32129
Local: 386.256.4882
Toll Free: 877.447.4667
New Smyrna Beach Office:
817 E. 7th Ave
New Smyrna Beach FL, 32169
Local: 386.256.4882
Toll Free: 877.447.4667