Essential Legal Documents for Unmarried Same-Sex Couples
Because unmarried same-sex couples are legal “strangers”, it is essential to have certain legal documents to protect each person’s interests and rights:
- Domestic partnership agreement
- Advance Medical Directive
- Living Will
- Durable Power of Attorney for finances
- Co-parenting agreement (if no adoption by the second parent)
- Nomination of a guardian for adult and minor child
- HIPPA (Privacy Law) authorization
- Authorization for disposition of remains and funeral arrangements
These documents create the core of planning for unmarried same-sex couples.
Additionally, there might be estate or gift tax issues facing unmarried couples who cannot avail themselves to favorable tax treatment for married couples.
Call the Law Offices of Debra G. Simms at 386.256.4882 to learn more.
This blog post is not case-specific and is provided only for educational purposes and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. Blog topics may or may not be updated and entries may be out-of-date at the time you view them.